January 29th 1959
The Inaugural Year of ASHRAE
ASHAE and ASRE merge to Create ASHRAE
ASHRAE was formed by a merger of two engineering societies – ASHAE – the American Society of Heating and Air Conditioning Engineers which was founded in 1894 and ASRE – the American Society of Refrigerating Engineers founded in 1904. The new Society was called ASHRAE and officially began operations on Jan 29th, 1959 with Headquarters in New York NY in the United Engineering Centre. Some 20,000 members were in ASHRAE after the merger and 87 chapters were in existence, one called the Ontario Chapter was located in Toronto. Canada also had chapters in Quebec City, Ottawa, Montreal, Manitoba, and British Columbia.
For more information on the merger please visit ASHRAE.org
1st ASHRAE Society president
Cecil Boling – January 1959- June 1959
March 1st 1959
The Niagara peninsula chapter is chartered
The 88th ASHRAE Chapter is formed
With many Society members from the Niagara Peninsula as chapter members in the Ontario Chapter, Lloyd Algie believed there would be enough members in this area to warrant their own chapter and have meetings in Hamilton. ASHRAE had a requirement that they would consider a documented petition from a minimum of 20 Society members from an area to incorporate a stand alone chapter. Lloyd was surprised at the local interest and quickly had 20 members willing to sign a petition The names are listed in the front of our roster . The inaugural organizational meeting took place March 1st, 1959 at the Fischer Hotel on York Street in Hamilton when Lloyd got his signatures.
At the Annual Meeting of ASHRAE in June of 1959, The Board of Directors accepted the petition and agreed to charter their 88th Chapter in Hamilton Ontario to be known as the Niagara Peninsula Chapter. In 1971, the name was changed to the Hamilton Chapter to reflect its meeting location.
The first Niagara peninsula chapter board of governors is formed
The first Board of Governors Consisted of R.C Brace, H.J Kallman, D. Harper, D.A McCoppen, W.M.Carr, G.E. Elliott, L. Algie (Missing W.M McDonald)
The Niagara Peninsula Chapter changes their name to the Hamilton Chapter
In 1970 under the Leadership of Chapter president James Gordon the Niagara Peninsula Chapter officially changed their name by right of charter to the Hamilton Chapter
Hamilton Chapter Charter
The original 1959 charter was revised in 1970 to reflect the chapters name change.
Hamilton Chapter President
December 10th 1984
The Hamilton Chapter celebrates their 25th anniversary
At the chapter’s 25th-anniversary celebration ASHRAEs executive director, Frank Coda addressed the chapter on the potential of the society for years to come. The chapter’s charter designating it as the Hamilton chapter was presented by ASHRAE 50-year Member John Fox from the Toronto chapter. In 1959 at the chapter’s inaugural Meeting, fox presented the original charter. The event was held at the Hamilton Yacht Club. This was the last event held at the Hamilton yacht club until it re-opened under new management
Certificate From ASHRAE Society
Invite to the 25th Anniversary
50th Annaversary of the Hamilton chapter
Terry Fowler Accepts the 50th anniversary certificate from Society’s president Gordon Holness